In 1654 a map published  by Blaeu in Amsterdam, shows a village named “Milgay”.  The map was called the Province of Lennox (the early name for the county)  and most agree this relates to the Mill of Guy/Mill of David.  The mill being one of the oldest buildings in the parish.

In 1793 the village had a population of around 200, mostly employed as bleachers, printers and pencillers of cloth.  Its location on the Allander river, with its soft, mud free waters were ideal for bleaching and printing and the village thrived. By 1842 it was home to more than 1500, adding cotton spinning to its industry.

The appeal of the area grew with the introduction of the rail link to Glasgow in 1863, as more businessmen working in Glasgow sought a suitable place to retire to at the end of the day. However like its sister Bearsden, Milngavie was keen to keep its own vitality and remained independent of Glasgow.

Growing from a village to a minor industrial centre, Milngavie was granted Burgh status in 1875.

Today the area is better known as the starting point for the West Highland Way and home to the training ground of Rangers Football Club.

The famous clock situated in the town centre, which was originally owned by the Glasgow department store Copeland & Lye was given to Milngavie in 1981 to mark the pedestrianisation of the precinct

Home to 12,795 (2001 census) and growing due to the number of new housing developments. The area attracts families and commuters to Glasgow.  Voted as one of the best places to live, for health, wealth, equality and future potential, NHS Scotland reports life expectancy in the area to be higher than that of those living in Glasgow.